Irrigation Doctors LLC
When Your Lawn is Under the Weather
What will an irrigation system do at my home or business?
- SAVE YOU TIME: An automatic irrigation system does the work for you.
- SAVE YOU WATER: An irrigation system will use less water than watering by hand.
- SAVE YOU MONEY: Water bills will be lower and plants will live longer.
Does having an irrigation system really save me time?
Yes! After you program the controller, the system does the work for you. You will not need to spend time watering by hand. Your new system will do all the watering for you - even when you are away from home!
Will installing an automatic irrigation system water as well as I can do when I water by hand?
An automatic irrigation system is designed to meet all the needs of your specific landscape. It will use products that target watering grass, trees, shrubs and garden plants. A well-designed system will deliver the water exactly where it is needed and this will increase efficiency in watering.
Will an automatic irrigation system use more water than when I water by hand?
No. A well-designed, efficient irrigation system applies exactly the amount of water to meet your specific landscape needs. There are also no worries about forgetting to turn off the hose when you are watering your lawn by hand. The system will start and stop automatically when each zone is complete. There are also products that can be used to automatically turn off your system when it rains or the ground has sufficient moisture.
What parts are included in a typical irrigation system?
A typical irrigation system is comprised of a controller that works as the brains of the system, valves to control the water flow, and various heads that distribute water around the lawn. The system can then be customized with rain sensors, moisture measurement devices and drip zones for shrubs and flower beds.
How much will an irrigation system cost to have installed?
The price of a system depends upon many factors such as the size of the lawn, type of landscaping, number of zones, products used and special designs. Irrigation systems are customized to meet your individual water needs so the costs may vary.
Are automatic irrigation systems difficult to operate?
At the time of the installation, an Irrigation Doctor's, LLC specialist will go through programming your system to meet your needs. Specialists at Irrigation Doctor's, LLC are always here to help and support anytime you may have questions about running your system. We are a phone call or e-mail away from any support you may need.
How often should I water?
We suggest you water less often for a longer stretches of time rather than frequently for shorter periods. Frequent watering keeps lawn root growth at a surface level therefore by watering less frequently you promote deeper root growth.
How do I know how much water my lawn needs?
In normal season weather (80-90 degrees), most lawns need about 1 inch of water a week. When temperatures go up, so do the watering needs of your lawn because so much of the water gets evaporated. Judge your own lawn accordingly based on the ever-changing weather.
You can determine how much water is being dispersed by your irrigation system by placing pans on your lawn while watering. After 15 minutes, measure the water depth and multiply this by 4 to determine the amount of water sprinkled per hour. This will help you gauge how often and for how long you need to water each day.
What is the best time of day to water?
The best time for watering your lawn is early in the morning. If that is not possible, evening watering is next best. Mid-day watering is not recommended, unless it is cool or you have a new lawn that needs constant watering. Do not water more than once a day unless heat is causing extreme evaporation.
Are there certain steps I should take to maintain my irrigation system?
- Monthly- Check your timer settings and make any adjustments that are needed based on the weather. Then do the same with your sprinklers and sprays. If you have a filter be sure to clean it out.
- Fall- Clean out the filters in all your sprinkler heads. Look for damage on wires and wire nuts. Be sure to schedule your winterizing to occur in October or November!
- Troubleshooting- If the system is still not working properly call Irrigation Doctors, LLC and we can give you an estimate on service or repair.
Can I install an automatic irrigation system on my own?
You can install an automatic irrigation system on your own. Just like any other home improvement project, you should consider all the aspects of the project before you begin.
- The first step in any DIY project is to plan ahead. Understand the time and tools necessary to complete the job. Consult local hardware and plumbing stores for more information on the tools necessary to complete the installation. Depending on the size of your property, installing a system could take more than just a few days to complete.
- It helps to have a plan on the landscaping of your lawn and landscaping. This will help plan our a shopping list of the products you will need in order to complete your installation.
- Always consult local plumbing and electrical codes. Most municipalities require a backflow preventer to prevent the flow of irrigation water into the main drinking water supply. It is better to know the code requirements before you begin the installation to avoid costly mistakes.
- If you already have an existing lawn and landscape you might need to move plants, trees or shrubs in order to install the system. Make sure you have prepped the area before you begin the installation.
Can I save money by installing my own system?
It depends. Remember, product cost is only one part of an efficient irrigation system. Many people choose to hire an experienced professional irrigation contractor who will bring years of experience designing and installing the most cost-effective and efficient irrigation systems. Contractors have also invested heavily in specialized installation equipment to help speed up the job and many have gone through detailed training courses and certifications.
Who do I contact to get an estimate on an irrigation system?
Irrigation Doctors, LLC are your local irrigation system specialists ready to serve you. We offer FREE estimates on installations and repairs of all brands of irrigation systems.
Call us today! 920-241-9131